13 December 2008

High-Five of the (yester)Day


Meet Father Jerry O'Connel and Ms. Joyce Stone. From the warm comfort of my sister Jeanette's tiny car, he did not appear to be in the best spirits and I wasn't sure how he would react to the High5 project. Part of this was due to the fact that when first spotted, Jerry had his head tilted downward. I quickly noted that what I initially thought was despair was probably more of an attempt to keep his holy face warm. I had found my prey and my friend Joyce (pictured left) was more than happy to trot across the street with me so that our target would have a ready hand to make contact with.
It turned out that my worries were ill-founded and Jerry was more than happy not only to have his photo taken but also to exchange some friendly holiday greetings and even extended an invitation to worship at his church. I was not raised in a particularly religious environment at all but the gesture was kind and given that Father Jerry so graciously supported my project, I might pop by the ol' house of worship to support his.

In other news I have spotted two unprompted high5s in the last couple of days. The first sighting occurred at a local Barnes&Noble when a man high5ed several kids who were perusing the Manga shelves. Kids who read deserve high5's indeed.
The other was spotted last night in Brookline, Massachusetts when Daniel Blake Adam and Stavroula Kikoman Cybill Venetis high5ed for a reason that is escaping me at this juncture in time. It was great regardless of what prompted it and I mildly hooted and hollered to show my support of their hand-on-hand display of friendship.

It is my sister's birthday today and we have a few things planned as a family--namely cutting a Christmas tree and going out for dinner later--so keep your digits at the ready, you'd be surprised at where I might pop up to document your handiwork.

keep on keeping on,
Charlette

No comments: