02 December 2008

9 out of 12 people will not high-five when asked

In the time between school and work yesterday, I took to the streets looking for strangers who were willing to do two things:
1. High-five someone.
2. Have a picture taken of the hand-slapping encounter.

Camera ready, I went into Enterprise Bank in Downtown Lowell to make a small withdrawal and exchanged a few words with the two women behind me...
"Hi. Can I ask you ladies a favor?"
One said yes, the other just gave me a look as if to say, "I'm listening."
"I am a student at UMass Lowell and I am on a quest to increase community awareness and involvement. A component of this is encouraging people to extend a friendly hand to those around them. So I'm wondering if you would high-five each other and allow me to take a picture?"
"No," one woman said without reservation. "Today is not a good day for me."
The other woman remained silent, as she knew that her decision had been made by this negative Nell one spot ahead of her in line.

I was discouraged but thanked both women with as much sincerity as I could muster--I figured it would come off as hypocritical for someone campaigning for community to turn sour upon not getting her way. I left the bank ready to find a willing party.
I immediately stumbled upon a family of four as I bounded out of the bank. At first I thought that these people shouldn't be eligible as it was obvious that they all knew each other. More consideration coupled with the sting of rejection from the previous encounter told me to stretch the rules and just get the picture.
"Hi. How are you all doing today?"
No response. Utter confusion.

"I'm a student from UMass Lowell and I am trying to increase community awareness by capturing photos of people high-fiving. Would you participate?"
Long stare. No response.
Scalded again by the iron of being denied, I left the scene.

A block away, I spotted a pair of scraggly men wielding empty grocery carts. Perfect. I was certain that these guys would be game.
I approached. I said hello and they both greeted me warmly. I gave my schpeel.
One of the guys literally ran away. I wish that this was a tall-tale but it seriously happened.
His friend explained that the guy really was not into having his picture taken. I thanked him and actually received a high-five from my new flannel-clad friend--the perfect silver lining to an otherwise miserable encounter.

Four has always been my number. All of my sports jerseys have been adorned with the number. There are four other members of my immediate family. It is just a magic number. That being said, I strode confidently toward the fourth and last pair I would be able to take in before heading to work. I gave the two women my 15 second plea, doing everything I could to hide any trace of desperation in my voice. And miracle of miracles, those ladies had a hand collision.

To these women and the man who high-fived even as his friend fled the scene I say thank you. Thank you for keeping the high-five, and my hope for a stronger community, alive.

Keep well,
Charlette

3 comments:

Lexi Latte said...

I'm in awe of your writing ability. I truly enjoyed your high-fives save lives article. Please keep working out there. You have a special gift. I wrote my first blog on blogger yesterday. It is called, "Feed the Children". My main blogging page has been on my space, but too few people are reviewing articles that I have poured my heart out writing. I'm here to try to make a difference. That is what makes my life so meaningful. I'm shocked that you have no comments yet. Go figure? Maybe people like to read junk. Oh, I give you five kudos. P.S. I read your article in its entirety to my husband this morning. He was a University Professor and enjoyed it thoroughly also.

I high-five for ______ said...

Thank you for the support, Lexi. Keep an eye out for a huge post later today!

Keep on keeping on,
Charlette

Anonymous said...

hey...i gotta say what you doin with the HIGH-5 is COOL...i had a pick taken by you sunday morning when you ask me and my partner if you can take us a pick while we HAVE 5 in central PARK...im looking foward to see my pick to (lol) and i hope yull find more people whos whilling to HIGH-5 also

Elvis Sanchez =p